Those who stayed quickly renamed the area "Lansing Township" in honor of their home village in New York.The settlement of fewer than 20 people would remain dormant until the winter of 1847 when the state constitution required the capital be moved from Detroit to a more central and safer location in the state's interior; many were concerned about Detroit's proximity to British-controlled Canada, which had captured Detroit in the War of 1812.Nevertheless, the brothers went back to Lansing, New York, to sell plots for the town that did not exist.They told the New Yorkers this new "city" had an area of 65 blocks, a church and a public and academic square.
The legislature gave the settlement the temporary name of the "Town of Michigan".
Most of what is known as Lansing today is the result of the city becoming an industrial powerhouse which began with the founding of Olds Motor Vehicle Company in August 1897.
The company went through many changes, including a buyout, between its founding to 1905 when founder Ransom E.
The land that was to become Lansing was surveyed as "Township 4 North Range 2 West" in February 1827 in what was then dense forest.
It was the last of the county's townships to be surveyed, and the land was not offered for sale until October 1830.